Monday, November 12, 2007

Wilderness and Escapism

In addition to having a great time in the mountains this past weekend, I also had a dark realization about myself and the people that I interacted with on my trip. Often times going into the wilderness is not only a way to get out and enjoy the natural world, but it also can be a vehicle to run away from the troubles and turmoil in our lives. Many of the people that were out for the weekend I interacted with noted that they really did not enjoy their jobs and came out into the mountains on the weekends to escape the turmoil and the boredom of their daily lives. I thought this was very sad and disturbing, until I realized that I do the exact same thing.

I constantly rejoice that God has given me a desire and passion to enjoy Him in His natural creation, I am also realizing that often times I use it in order to escape from my troubles and take my mind off of my unhappiness or frustrations. Often times when I am frustrated, confused, or just bored with my current situation, I simply fantasize about a "simpler" lifestyle in the woods, not to unclutter my life, but to simply escape the problems and ambiguities of my life.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that it is good to strive to simplify our lives, and to change aspects of our lives if we see that it is causing problems and strife in our lives, but I don't think that merely trying to get away from them by daydreaming or chronically escaping from them. In fact, I think that that is a fierce perversion of the beauty and tranquility of nature and the God that I seek in creation. Somewhere there has to be a balance between enjoying the simplified life that is attained in the natural world and difficult situations of where we find ourselves in the places where we currently find ourselves.

My prayer right now is that I can enjoy God and the places that I find myself in right now. Even though my transition from college life to "real life" is stressful and confusing, somehow I am hoping that I am led to a place where I still find peace in it and I can rejoice in the places that my life is going. Don't get me wrong, I still plan on enjoying the outdoors and the peace and simplicity that it offers; I merely hope that I don't drastically misuse it by putting it in an unhealthy place in my life.

No comments: