Sunday, April 01, 2007

Balance in the Revolution in World Missions

Recently I finished the book Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannan, a book that I got when I attended the Urbana Missions conference in January, and it really got me thinking about the constantly broadening global missions field and what role all of these cultures can play as we all reach out to the world.

The book had many good points in it, especially being extremely committed to presenting the gospel as well as giving an interesting "non-Western" view of American culture (the author is a native of India). However, some questions were raised when I thought about the main thesis of the book. In essence, the revolution in world missions that the author speaks of is that there is an explosion in native missionaries ministering to their own people groups and are having a profound effect on areas in the Two-Thirds world, especially in areas that are closed to traditional Western missionaries. I think that it is absolutely beautiful that the Gospel is spread faster than it ever has before and it is being done by people who can best reach out to those their own culture, and yet I also felt that the book also sent some negative messages about cross-cultural missions. It almost seemed that sometimes the book portrays the idea of Westerners going into foreign missions is outdated and that the best thing for Americans to send funding strictly for native missionaries. This may have not been the aim of the book's message, but it did get me thinking about what that may mean.

Obviously, strictly relying on native missionaries is essential in countries that are completely closed to outside missions. Also, I believe that it is essential that all missions organizations should be coordinated and directed by those who are native to the area and have an infinately better understanding of the culture rather than an outsider. However, I think that it would be disasterous if cross-cultural missions was completely shelved and labelled as a thing of the past. I believe that when Christians experience and work with other cultures we will gain a better perspective for the body of Christ and what he is doing with the world, something that will be invaluable as we move closer and closer into a global community. I still believe that native missionaries should be the decision-makers and organizers of missions in their areas, but I still believe that completely compartmentalize countries and not allow others to experience and work for the kingdom wherever it may be.

I sincerely hope that I have in no way taken any of the author's words or ideas out of context and that I was able to express my thoughts about this clearly. I just believe that now we are moving into a new paradigm in missions and what it means to integrate balance and listening to each other about each other's cultures as we continue to reach out to all with the Gospel. Different cultures are going to be reached out to and experienced, and we need to be ready to be flexible, change our thinking and ways, and be willing to listen to the Spirit as well as each other.

No comments: