Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Modern Christian Culture and Post-Rapture Radio

Every summer I make a point to spend some time reading longer books because I have much more time to do so during the summer rather than during the regular school year. This summer I chose to read Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Augustine's City of God. I thought that I would have a full plate of reading before me, but when I arrived in Minnesota my sister persuaded me to read one more book over the summer. I took her advice, not knowing that the book she would recommend to me would truly be a perspective changing book.

The book was Post-Rapture Radio, written by one of the pastor's of my sister's church, Russell Rathbun. The book was written as a sort of response to the Left Behind Series, but turns the idea on its head, instead making the government of the anti-Christ modern Christian culture. As a result, the book gives an almost disturbing critique of our own Christian sub-culture.

In the book Rathbun presents many differnet ideas and critiques, but the most striking ones for me included his arguments about interpretation of scripture and reliance on faith. He addresses the fact that many of us, especially those who grew up in the church, are caught in a way of thinking only one way about scripture, and tend to interpret the Bible as being more about us than it is about God. Also, he presents the all important reality that Christianity is based more on faith than we are many times willing to admit. It is sometimes a reality that is often looked over, but at the same time is very comforting.

I thouroghly enjoyed the book and purposely meant to leave out most of the details of the book because this book is something that needs to be experienced and not described. If you do read the book, prepare to have your christian worldview a little bit shaken, especially if you have experience with contemporary Christian sub-culture. Get ready to have the waters of Christianity muddied and be ready to enjoy it!

No comments: